Imagine my facial expression when I notice a sewer-like bad odor inside my home. Ugh, it was so bad that I needed to act immediately. If you are wondering how this can happen, it is the sewer gas escaping from the drainage system. This gas smells gross and the bacteria spreading around my house was such a horrifying experience. Not to mention, it can be quite dangerous to your health. If you also notice this kind of smell I am describing, you’re in for a serious work. Keep reading and see how to get rid of the sewer-like odor coming from your drain.
Now, before rushing to call your plumber, follow up these simple steps that may eliminate the problem quickly:
1. Remove the trap using a screwdriver.
2. Pour one cup of white vinegar down the drain.
3. Add 1/4 cup baking soda.
4. Let these ingredients do their own thing for about two hours and keep the bathroom door closed.
5. Then, slowly pour a gallon of hot water down the drain.
6. Let the water act for about 15 minutes and then run cold water for 10 minutes. You need to make sure you thoroughly rinse the vinegar. This is a very important step so don’t skip it. If you don’t rinse the vinegar completely, you might cause a toxic chloramine gas.
7. After 10 minutes (maybe 15, just to be sure) of rinsing the vinegar, you can pour 1/2 cup chlorine bleach into the drain. Let it act for another two hours.
8. Then, you can rinse with another gallon of hot water while pouring it slowly.
9. Now it is time to turn on the shower’s water and let the water rinse everything again for 10 minutes.
10. Lastly, pour 4-ounces of mineral oil. For this you could use cooking oil, it will work just fine.
That’s it, you could also replace the trap and enjoy your newly unclogged drain. Make sure to follow these instructions carefully and you’re all set.