Imagine my facial expression when I notice such a bad odor as the sewer-like one inside my home. Ugh, it was so bad that I needed to act immediately. If you are wondering how this can be happening, chances are it is sewer gas escaping from the drainage system. Thus, it smells gross and the bacteria spreading around my house was such a horrifying experience. Not to mention, it can be quite dangerous to your health. Thus, if you also notice this kind of smell I am describing, you’re in for a serious work. Keep reading and see how you can get rid of the sewer-like odor coming from your drain.
Now, before you rush to call your plumber, try following up with these simple steps that may eliminate the problem quickly:
1. Remove the trap using a screwdriver.
2. Pour down the drain one cup of white vinegar.
3. Follow up with 1/4 cup baking soda.
4. Let these ingredients do their own thing for about two hours and keep the bathroom door closed.
5. Then, you should pour slowly a gallon of hot water down the drain.
6. Let it sit again for about 15 minutes and then run cold water for 10 minutes. You need to make sure you thoroughly rinse the vinegar down. This is a very important step so don’t skip it. You will follow up with chlorine bleach which it means that, if you don’t rinse the vinegar completely, you might cause a toxic chlorine and chloramine gas.
7. Thus, as I was saying, after 10 minutes (maybe 15, just to be sure) of rinsing the vinegar, you can pour 1/2 cup chlorine bleach into the drain. Allow it again to act for another two hours.
8. Then, you can rinse with another gallon of hot water while pouring it slowly.
9. Now it is time turn on the shower’s water and let the water rinse everything again for 10 minutes.
10. The last step is pouring 4-ounces of mineral oil. For this you could use cooking oil, it will work just fine.
That’s it, you could also replace the trap and enjoy your newly unclogged drain. Make sure to follow these instructions carefully and you’re all set.