Fruit flies are becoming a big problem every summer, they show up always in the kitchen or in the bathroom. Basically, everywhere you look, there they are. I don’t know about you but I find them quite annoying and I cannot wait to tell you how easy it is to get rid of them. Thus, if you’re looking for quick tips to get rid of them as effectively as possible, you’re in the right place. Keep reading and check these methods!
Not to mention, most of the ingredients are already in your household so you won’t have to go looking for the impossible. These are easy, maybe not the most unique, but highly effective methods I already used and know they are worthy of your time.
Here you have them:
1. The banana peels method
This is an amazing fruit that you can use to your advantage. Not only you love them, but also do fruit flies. Is one of their favorite fruit. This is how it works:
– first off, you should start with peeling a banana
– then place the peel in a plastic bag
– next, make some holes with a toothpick in the bag, just big enough to allow the fruit flies to go through
– make sure you don’t make them very big though so they can’t escape once inside
– then, place the bag close to a bowl of fruit you saw the fruit flies flying around
– leave it like that for a day
– check the bag the next day and see the fruit flies trapped in there
– now it is time for you to dispose of the bag outside your house to make sure they don’t come back.
2. Cut off their food source
Now, this method is also effective because if they don’t have anything to eat, they’ll disappear. So make sure to inspect any rotting food and dispose of it immediately. Here are some of the areas in your house you should check out:
– the kitchen counter is the most susceptible, as we all know, so make sure there is no rotten fruit left out.
– the garbage can. Take it out immediately when it is full because, in hot summer days, that is their main attraction. So don’t leave it overnight in your house.
– the open bottles of alcohol. If you leave beverages opened, they will be attracted to the smell and will gather like an army around them. So make sure you throw them out immediately.
– the kitchen sink. It should never be full of dishes, especially after eating. It is their food source. So make sure to wash the dishes right away.
3. DIY Vinegar Trap
That’s my favorite. I know there are methods out there using wine but I think the vinegar is a better option. Thus, for this, I would recommend especially apple cider vinegar. Here’s how to do it:
Gather your supplies:
– a jar
– a plastic bag
– a toothpick
– some rubber bands
– and the main ingredient, apple cider vinegar
Let’s do it.
– fill the jar with 1-2 inches of vinegar
– using the toothpick, make some small holes in the plastic bag, as you did in the first method
– then, place it over the jar and secure it with the rubber band.
– finally, place the jar in the most infested area and wait.
You’ll see soon enough that the jar will be filling with the fruit flies. It is a fantastic trap because they will be attracted to the vinegar smell. That’s it. You can now enjoy your summer completely fruit flies free.