Are you having trouble with your slow shower drain? Especially if you have long hair? Well, I’m in serious trouble when I find out the amount of hair and soap scum build up stuck in my shower drain. This is what causes shower drains to slow or stop. However, if you are in the same boat, let’s see how we can fix this in the long run. Because a fun and tricky DIY can be perfect if you do it properly. Keep reading this article and see the best DIY trick you can use to prevent hair buildup in your shower drain.
Before going further, I also have to mention that I was using both wire mesh and plastic drain covers before without any luck. So I made this myself instead. Check it out!
Here you have the supplies you will need so you can be successful in your DIY project of preventing hair buildup in your shower drain:
– fiberglass screen
– a screwdriver
– plastic snake to take out hair
Next, let’s follow up with some step by step instructions and you will be ready in 15 minutes. That’s how long it will take and you’re all set.
1. Take the screws out with a screwdriver so you can take out the drain cover. Make sure you handle the screws really good so they won’t fall down the drain.
2. Now that the cover is off, you should use the drain snake to take out any hair you find in there.
3. The next step is to place the drain cover on the fiberglass screen. draw a circle of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch larger than the drain using the sharpie.
4. Make sure you cut along that circle.
5. Then, place the drain cover on top of the screen and poke a hole where the screws go through using the tip of the scissors.
6. Now put the screen down on the drain hole. Place the drain cover on its top. Hold the screen down from all sides by the drain cover and start poking out a bit all around the edge. You can do this easily because the fiberglass is soft.
7. The last step would be to screw tightly the screws back in.
8. That’s all there is to it. You are done.